Saturday, October 01, 2005

Here fishy-fishy...

When I was a kid and my family would go fishing, my mom would always get me to call the fish, "Here fishy-fishy-fishy!" (She'd get me to call the sun out from behind the clouds, too.) We used to say that they would listen to me because I'm a Pisces. I don't put faith in astrology - God is so much bigger than that.

Anyways, we went and got the monkey-children a Betta fish today. I did a little research on them before we made up our minds that that is what we wanted. (I found some good information at http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/anabantids2/p/betta.htm.) I hope we can do a bit better with this than we did with the last fish trial (the goldfish didn't live very long). I'm going to put a little more effort into keeping the water quality up.

He's a very dark blue with burgundy-red on his tail. He looks a lot better here than he did in the little tiny tank they had him in in the store. I also bought some water conditioner for Betta fish and some Betta fish food (freeze dried red grubs - YUM!) and some activated carbon with ammonia neutralizers.

I'm going to sew some little bags to put the charcoal in because the tank I have doesn't have an external filter....it just filters through the gravel. I'll just replace the charcoal when I do water changes. I figure that's better than no charcoal at all.

Well, I'm sure the water in his bag is the same as the tank now, maybe I'll let him explore his new home. I wonder what the monkey-children will name him?

No comments: