Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Blah, blah, blah...what a bore

Bah! Things have been too busy lately.

I DO have some cool pictures of our trip. And some pictures of craft stuff. And August garden pictures. The monkey-children have been keeping up with their regular antics. I guess there's just too much to blog about... :)

Once the monkey-children are in school, I'll (hopefully) be able to get the posts up more regularly. Monkey-girl is going to Kindergarten again and Monkey-boy is going to "Junior Kindergarten" aka preschool. Friday is the first day for both of them, so I have a couple more days to get ready.

Today, Monkey-boy has his preschool music class, but Monkey-girl's dance class doesn't start until next week, so I'll have to bring a craft for her to work on during his class. She is starting to hand sew (with the felt pieces that have holes for the yarn) and has made a purse and a hand puppet, so I think I'll introduce her to real needles soon. She's almost 6 and has good fine motor control, so I think it'll be okay. She's already asked me if I can teach her how to do the blanket stitch because she likes the way it looks. (Oooo! Then I can make her a little pincushion, needle holder, etc! Maybe I'll make one similar to this...and maybe that's a little too clever for me.)

Lately in the evenings, TKHubband has been playing Oblivion on the Xbox 360. (The title of this post is a quote from the game.) So I sit beside him on the couch and knit! Yay me! I have finished the back of the summer top I'm making from KnitPicks Shine Worsted. Then I realized that I miscalculated the amount of yarn I bought, so I'm waiting for my order to come to do the fronts. I figure if the colour is from different dye lots, it will be okay because the only place you'll notice is the side seams...and it probably wouldn't be obvious anyways. Since I have to wait to work on that project, I'm back to working on my cross-over cardigan from Interweave Knits. I'd finished the back and both fronts and then stalled on the sleeves. I think I just got a bit tired of it, but now, I'm pretty excited to get it finished as fall is almost here and I want to wear it!

Monkey-girl is going to be a flowergirl in a wedding this fall, and I'm going to make some crinolines/petticoats for under her dress and for the other girls. I was thinking of buying some, but to buy them online with shipping costs/time/etc, I'd be worried that they wouldn't fit, or other stuff would go wrong. Then I thought of renting them from a bridal store, but they want $50 each to rent them!!!!! Yikes! So, I'm going to make them. It's very, very hard to find patterns for crinolines. Unless you know where to look. There's one discontinued Butterick pattern that you can buy from their website, and I saw one on ebay. That's it. So, I looked through the costume patterns and finally, thankfully, found one that will work and will be simple to make (cheap too). And the fabric store had a special on, so the pattern only cost me $2.99! YAY!!!!! I'll go get the fabric one day when both kids are at school...

No comments: