Thursday, September 18, 2008

Kids are weird

Yes, I knew that, but it's still a valid point.

Monkey-boy is a bit of a picky eater. He loves fruit and veggies (raw) but isn't that keen on meat. He'll eat a chicken strip and he'll eat hamburgers (with ketchup and pickles). That's just about it. Monkey-girl on the other hand likes fruit and some veggies (no celery mom!) and likes solid meat (not ground beef) although she does like her cheeseburgers.

Our supper rule is that they have to have a bite of everything I make for supper; I'm hoping their taste buds will learn to accept a larger variety of foods.

A week or so ago, I made "hamburger soup" - pretty simple, just saute some onions, add the veggies, browned ground beef, beef stock and simmer until done. I didn't expect either of the kids to eat more than their required one bite. When they looked skeptically at the pot and asked what it was, I said, "Um, well, I guess it's kind of a hamburger soup. And if you put cheese in it, then it would be a cheeseburger soup."

Monkey-girl had three bowls, Monkey-boy had two (although he did pick out most of the ground beef).

I was shocked. I honestly thought they would look at the soup, reluctantly eat their bite and quickly wash it down with milk.

Today, I made a slightly different version in my crock pot. Again, three bowls for Monkey-girl, two bowls for Monkey-boy.

Could getting them to eat supper really be as simple as giving it the right name?

No comments: