Monday, June 12, 2006

She took it really well...

"What?" you ask. "Who?" you ask.

Monkey-girl is repeating Kindergarten. We've known it was a possibility since November. She's just kind of 'young'. (Her birthday is in the middle of October, and she's always been a bit 'young' for her age.) The problem isn't academic, it's maturity/resilience/coping/whatever you want to call it. We made the decision to go with the teacher's recommendation a few weeks ago, but I hadn't yet figured out how to tell her. I was quite sure she would take it quite badly.

Well, she took it very well. Very, very well. She was very calm, listened to us explain that she was going to do Kindergarten again, smiled when we said she'd be like a special helper to help the new kids...I am amazed. I asked her if she wanted the same teacher/class or the other one, and she thought about it for a bit and decided to go with the other teacher/class for next year. (That is what I expected her to do.)

I've been holding a lot of stress inside worrying about this since November. (A lot of things have just been pushed aside mentally, as I couldn't deal with them.) Now that it's finally decided and she knows, I can let it go. I still have concern for her having to deal with unthinkingly cruel remarks, but we can take care of that when/if it happens.

Back to life!

1 comment:

Kris said...

I think you'll all be glad you did this. We kept my little sister in kindergarten another year also (August birthday) and she did just fine. Graduated magna cum laude from Texas Christian University a few years ago, in fact.

I'm seriously considering keeping my oldest daughter in the sixth grade again -- but probably only if we do get to move. That way there might not be as many peer issues as there would be if she stayed in the same school.